Usually, anxiety disorders require medications or therapy. But you can treat milder cases of anxiety with changes in your lifestyle including dietary improvements. It is true that our food can impact our brain chemistry. It is nothing simpler and safer than eating the right foods when it comes to treat anxiety. We can stay calm and control without feeling anxious by knowing what and when to eat. This article will help you to overcome anxiety to calm your mind with some anti-anxiety foods.
1. Berries – Strawberries, raspberries and blue berries all contain vitamin C and natural antioxidants that are extremely good for relieving stress. They are more than delicious fruits. Cortisol is a stress hormone and vitamin C regulates it.
2. Almonds – Almonds contain calcium, iron, zinc, vitamin B, magnesium and many other nutrients which have anti-anxiety benefits. Magnesium reduce rapid heartbeats, calcium shortage can cause anxiety and depression, B vitamin produces neurotransmitters that produces calming effect, zinc maintain balanced mood and iron aid in brain fatigue.
3. Whole Grains – Whole grain foods like wheat bread, whole grain pasta and brown rice can also have a calming effect on our mind and are very good for heart. They boost the production of serotonin by your brain which is one of the “feel good” chemical.
4. Chocolate – Good news for chocolate lovers! Chocolate (especially the purest dark chocolate) without milk and added sugar is a very good food for those having stress and anxiety. It reduces cortisol (a stress hormone producing anxiety symptoms).
5. Seaweed – It is rich in magnesium and potassium that are known to relieve anxiety disorders and tryptophan which is a key to produce serotonin (a “feel good” hormone).
6. Fish – Fish is a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids. They are good for our body in all aspects and also reduce anxiety and inflammation.
7. Bananas – Bananas contain fiber and tryptophan like seaweed. It also boosts our potassium level which is very important because when you are anxious, your metabolic rate rises and potassium level drops.
8. Red Meat – Red meat is a rich source of B vitamins which help to reduce anxiety and produce calming effects.
9. Garlic – Increase garlic in your diet lowers your blood pressure and reduces anxiety.
10. Herbal Tea – There are many teas in the market that has calming effect on anxious mind.